Position: Volunteer Coordinator
Site: Southwest Region Office, Oceanside, CA
Application: Complete the online application, including your resume and cover letter (required).
If you cannot submit an application online, download the application and submit by fax or mail to:
Canine Companions for Independence
PO Box 446
Santa Rosa, CA 95402-0446
Fax (707) 577-1832
Cut off date: February 6, 2015
Hiring Range: $18.60-22.02 DOE
Primary Purpose of the Job: The Volunteer Coordinator oversees the volunteer program and recruits, motivates, trains and supervises regional volunteers for utilization at CCI events and business operations. They also develop and maintain volunteer guidelines, materials and procedures as well as organize and assist with CCI volunteer and company events in order to educate the general public and volunteers on the importance of CCI's mission and the value CCI holds for its volunteer support.
- Conduct volunteer orientation meetings in order to recruit new volunteers as well as increase the volunteer support base. Provide clear and concise overview of CCI volunteer program to all volunteer applicants to ensure accurate and up to date information is provided to educate volunteers and their contacts. Review and update volunteer application materials and guidelines. Interview volunteer applicants and provide follow-up as necessary.
- Recruit, screen and educate volunteers in specified job areas in accordance with CCI procedures. Review and evaluate the ongoing work performance of volunteers and follow-up volunteer service with recognition and thank-you letters. Frequently visit volunteer work sites and projects to reinforce excellent CCI volunteerism and provide support when needed.
- Create, review and update volunteer job requests and related job duties. Solicit input from regional office staff and maintain current volunteer job descriptions and volunteer needs for the regional campus.
- Act as a liaison between CCI and groups requesting information tables, demonstrations and campus tours. Schedule appropriate volunteers for each opportunity. Provide training and feedback to speakers to ensure accurate public education and information about CCI. Provide adequate supplies and materials for speakers. Oversee set-up of CCI booths and schedule staffing for off-site events. Organize and schedule volunteers to perform regularly scheduled campus tours to visitors and conduct unscheduled tours as necessary. Submit monthly reports documenting regional outreach activities.
- Fulfill material requests received by volunteers, puppy raisers, graduates and community groups. Maintain annual inventory count for collateral materials. Acquire and oversee audio visual equipment and materials to provide high quality presentations.
- Play an integral role in Team Training/Graduation; schedule and supervise lunch providers; facilitate pre and post-graduation meetings; organize graduate brunch; complete administrative tasks such as designing puppy slideshow and creating recognition certificates; assign appropriate volunteers to support staff and graduation day activities.
- Provide support for campus special events via volunteer coverage, including but not limited to: CCI Salutes, Chapter workshops, puppy raiser and graduate workshops on site and in the field.
- Work with volunteers during special events while providing supervision, training and support to ensure coverage and propriety.
- In conjunction with regional staff, develop ad hoc volunteer committees for special events as needed. Support, encourage and oversee various volunteer chapters in the SWR.
- Create and maintain volunteer files, database and other relevant volunteer information which include volunteer personal information, dates to be recognized, current address, emergency information, current phone numbers and areas of interest or ability. Track and record volunteer hours performed for CCI.
- Create and implement volunteer recognition opportunities, which include a Volunteer Appreciation Event, volunteer awards for special achievements or service, acknowledgement of birthdays, anniversaries, etc. Maintain and update all volunteer bulletin boards on campus and oversee volunteer recognition to reinforce the importance of CCI's volunteers and the volunteer program.
- Oversee the publishing of newsletters. Include volunteer activities and recognition for local volunteers that include puppy raisers, breeder caretakers and other staff volunteer support.
- Oversee the development of current and new chapters. Review chapter monthly activity reports and chapter-meeting minutes, process chapter requests, including reimbursements and check requests, oversee development of chapter budgets and petty cash account maintenance. Act as liaison between chapters and the region and keep chapters informed of CCI news, activities and updates. Keep detailed files on all chapter activities.
- Support volunteers via outreach, educational and development events including Los Angeles.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor or department.
- Ability to perform several tasks concurrently, good time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to train, manage, and motivate volunteers and work closely with CCI departments.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Ability to organize and maintain detailed records; complete necessary paperwork and meet deadlines.
- Ability to perform public presentations; good oral and written communication skills.
Required Experience: Computer, public speaking and training experience preferred. One or more years of volunteer/coordinator experience preferred. Supervisory experience preferred.
Required Education: High School graduate or equivalent, college degree preferred.
Required Licenses: None.
Working Conditions: Work indoors and outdoors performing volunteer management, training and administrative duties. Weekend and some evening work required. Some travel may be required.
Safety Hazards: General office working conditions. Subject to hazards that can be caused by working with animals.
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by supervisors or managers to perform other instructions and duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description.
Management has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not a contract for employment and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
CCI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
NO phone calls please.