|International Assistance Dog Week August 4-11|
International Assistance Dog
Week was created to recognize all the
devoted, hardworking assistance dogs helping people with disabilities. The week
aims to raise awareness and educate the public about assistance dogs and the
work they do to improve the lives of their human partners. This year
International Assistance Dog Week is August 4-11.
Canine Companions for
Independence, the first nonprofit to train assistance dogs to perform tasks
that help people with physical disabilities, also celebrates the most teams
graduated from an assistance dog program, with over 4000 teams partnered since 1975.
Canine Companions for
Independence encourages our graduates, puppy raisers and supporters to help
spread the word on Assistance Dog Week. Here are some ways to get involved:
- A local proclamation. Start with a proclamation from
your local public officials―mayor, state or local legislator or other
dignitaries, affirming your community’s participation in this nationally
recognized observance. Officials sometimes invite media and sponsoring
organizations to public signings of these proclamations. Be sure to
contact their offices soon! Here’s a sample proclamation.
- Give a talk: Help educate
everyone about assistance dogs. Give a talk, presentation and/or demo of
what assistance dogs can do at a local community center, school, library,
daycare center, hospital, rehabilitation facility, or place of worship.
- Get on the radio: Call your local radio station to schedule a time you can come in to
talk about your assistance dog or puppy, promote an upcoming Canine
Companions event, or spread the word on assistance dogs in general.
- Hold a local event. Events can be fundraisers, educational events, fun events, or a
combination. Join with others or do something on your own to recognize
Canine Companions for Independence.
- Use social media to spread the
word. Are you on
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn or other social media network? Tweet or post
to your friends and ask them to “like” or follow Canine Companions for
Independence. Or change your profile picture to a Canine Companions image or our logo.
- Share our banner ads. Help us promote assistance dogs
and our need for volunteer puppy raisers by downloading our banner ads
- Make a Donation. You can honor International Assistance Dog
Week by making a donation in honor of the dogs that have changed your life
the most at cci.org/tribute.
- Make your dog a SuperDog. Our fun tool lets you put a superman cape on your pet dog
- Take your dog to the mall. A great place to socialize your puppy, hand out Canine
Companions brochures or bookmarks to the people that you meet.
Have other ideas on how to
help spread the word on assistance dogs during International Assistance Dog
Week? Let us know!