About Our Chapter
The Lone Star Chapter was established in early 2015 after a group of dedicated volunteers voted to form an organized Canine Companions chapter. Our chapter serves the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area and consists of volunteers, puppy raisers, graduate teams and donors who actively work to support the mission of Canine Companions.
The goals of our chapter are to:
- Grow chapter membership by raising public awareness of Canine Companions.
- Recruit individuals enthused about and dedicated to raising future assistance dogs.
- Provide financial support for Canine Companions through fundraising.
- Maintain a vibrant, positive presence in the community by giving presentations and demonstrations about Canine Companions.
- Show support to all who share the passion and pursue the mission of Canine Companions.
The Lone Star Chapter is proud to be an extension of the sixth and newest regional training center for Canine Companions for Independence. Located in Irving, Texas, the Kinkeade Campus is the first partnership between Canine Companions and Baylor, Scott & White Health Care System. The South Central Training Center offers ideal facilities for providing professional training for assistance dogs and preparing graduate teams for their lives together. The campus has 24 kennels for Canine Companions dogs and six cabins specially designed to accommodate those participating in Team Training.
We are always in need of additional puppy raisers. Puppy raisers donate their time and effort in the care and socialization of assistance dog candidates. Raisers spend countless hours teaching their pups basic commands and good house behaviors to prepare them for their future job. Our chapter provides a community of support, allowing you to give back while being paid in unconditional love and puppy kisses. It is a job that is both warm and fuzzy! If you would like to learn more about puppy raising and our other volunteer efforts, please contact us.
2018 Chapter Leadership Team
Volunteer Engagement Coordinator
Puppy Raiser Recruitment Coordinator
Fundraising Event Coordinator
Website Communications Coordinator
Robin Kinsel & Nancy Hasselbeck