Become a Volunteer Puppy RaiserAssistance dogs aren't just born, they're raised.
Volunteer puppy raisers provide specially-bred puppies a safe home, take them to obedience classes, serve up a healthy diet, provide socialization opportunities and give lots of love.
Each hour spent caring for a Canine Companions puppy is vital to its development as a future assistance dog. The puppy raising program provides a unique opportunity for volunteers to assist with our very important mission.
Please note: You must be at least 18 years old to be a volunteer puppy raiser. Those under the age of 18 must have a parent or legal guardian as a co-applicant on the puppy raiser application.
Raise a puppy, change a life.
- As a volunteer puppy raiser, you must agree to the following:
- Provide a safe environment for a puppy who will be the only dog under 1-year old in the house
- Work closely with Canine Companions monitoring the puppy’s progress and submit monthly reports
- Attend Canine Companions approved obedience classes
- Teach the puppy manners and basic commands
- Provide financially for the puppy’s food, medical and transportation expenses
- Feed the puppy a diet recommended by Canine Companions
- Provide a kennel or crate for sleeping indoors
- Provide the puppy with age-appropriate socialization opportunities such as public outings and medical appointments
- Keep the puppy on a leash at all times unless in a securely fenced area
- Supervise the young puppy throughout the day
- Agree to return the puppy upon request
Volunteer Puppy Raiser FAQs
Canine Companions for Independence® has been providing assistance dogs to people with disabilities since 1975. You can help us unite people with trained assistance dogs in a powerful program that leads to greater independence. Every assistance dog starts as a puppy that needs a loving home. You can raise a dog and change a life. Volunteer puppy raising is an incredible way to help children and adults with disabilities live more independent lives.
Volunteer puppy raisers provide Canine Companions puppies a safe home, take them to obedience classes, serve up a healthy diet, provide socialization opportunities and give lots of love.