Become a Volunteer Breeder Caretaker
Best of the Best.
Breeder dogs and their puppies are the foundation of our organization. We carefully select and breed Labrador Retrievers, Golden Retrievers and crosses of the two after an intensive evaluation process. Our breeding program staff checks each dog’s temperament, trainability, health, physical attributes, littermate trends and the production history of the dam and sire. Only then are the “best of the best” chosen as Canine Companions breeder dogs.
A Unique Opportunity.
Volunteer breeder caretakers are a diverse group of people ranging from stay-at-home moms to working professionals to retirees, all of whom receive extensive support from Canine Companions staff, volunteers and the Breeder Caretaker Council. Upon retirement, our breeders are spayed or neutered and stay with the breeder caretaker as a loving pet.
Many volunteer breeder caretakers report immense feelings of pride and satisfaction in seeing Canine Companions breeders produce pups with a purpose.
Be a Breeder Caretaker.
As a volunteer breeder caretaker, you must agree to the following:
- Live within 90 miles of Canine Companions for Independence National Headquarters in Santa Rosa, CA
- Attend Canine Companion breeder educational workshops
- Work closely with Canine Companions veterinary, breeding and canine care staff
- Caretakers for male breeders bring the breeder to the national headquarters in Santa Rosa, CA for breeding dates, veterinary appointments as requested
- Caretakers for female breeders bring the breeder to headquarters each heat cycle, assist with whelping and delivery per Canine Companions guidelines
- Raise and socialize puppies per Canine Companion canine early care protocols
To receive an application please contact us at 1-866-CCI-DOGS (224-3647) or via email.